REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN
We are pleased to announce that registrations are open for our third Unplanned Pregnancy and Abortion Conference being held in Brisbane on 1 and 2 August 2019. This conference is being supported by our principal sponsor, Marie Stopes Australia.
Our conference is an opportunity for health and community professionals working in and those interested in the fields of unplanned pregnancy, reproductive health and abortion provision to advance their skills and expertise. The conference will comprise of plenary sessions with experts and concurrent sessions, including a clinical stream for health practitioners providing or assisting in abortion care. The conference is also a unique opportunity for the sector to come together and share experiences and discuss national and local responses.
Program at a glance
Our program at a glance is available to download here. Further program details will be announced soon.
We are thrilled to announce that the incredible Jan Fran will be our keynote address to open our conference on August 1st 2019. Jan Fran is a journalist, broadcaster and TV presenter best known for hosting The Feed on SBS VICELAND. She’s the creator of opinion segment The Frant, guest-presenter of The Project and host of podcasts Sexism and the City and The Few Who Do. Jan appears regularly as a commentator on Sky News and the ABC. She’s appeared on Q&A, ABC Breakfast, The Drum, Lateline and Triple J’s Hack.
Jan recently won the 2018 Our Watch Award for Best Use of Social Media for The Feed and The Frant. She was a finalist for Best Television Personality in Cosmo’s Woman of the Year Award and a finalist for the 2018 Walkley for Women’s Leadership in Media. Jan is an ambassador for Plan International where she advocates for women and girls. Jan is a strong public supporter of reproductive choice and last year created this amazing clip to support abortion decriminalisation in Queensland. (Language warning) More information about Jan and her work can be found here.
Associate Professor Bruce Shadbolt, of the Australian National University Research School of Finance Actuarial Studies and Statistics will provide a keynote address. Associate Professor Shadbolt is a leading data scientist and epidemiologist/biostatistician in scientific methodology and the translation of clinical research into practice. He was one of the pioneers in establishing health outcomes research in Australia, co-convening the Australian Health Outcomes Conference series over 14 years from 1997-2010. This series significantly impacted the direction of clinical research in Australia and internationally, as well as, started a dialogue around the translation of this type of research into practice. Bruce will share some of the preliminary findings from his research in partnership with Marie Stopes Australia into what women want in abortion care. More information about this research can be found here.
Dr Philip Goldstone has 20 years’ experience as a clinician and educator in sexual and reproductive health. He is the Medical Director of Marie Stopes Australia and a clinical lecturer at University of Sydney. Dr Goldstone’s career has been largely devoted to provision of contraception and pregnancy termination services and he has played a key role in improving access to medical abortion in Australia.
Professor Danielle Mazza holds the Chair of General Practice at Monash University and is an Australian leader in primary care research and knowledge translation in general practice. In 2018, she received a NHMRC grant for SPHERE, a Centre of Research Excellence in women`s sexual and reproductive health in primary care.More infromation about Professor Mazza's work can be found here.
Please note Dr. Willie Parker is no longer on the conference program.
Who should attend
GPs and health practitioners, allied health and education professionals; social workers, academics, youth and community workers; policy makers; students; supporters of choice.
To register please click here. (Please note that we have had to slightly increase our registration fees due to an unexpected change to the conference venue).
If you need inspiration to register check out the comments below from attendees at our 2017 conference;
- The breadth of topics and the knowledge and passion of speakers and attendees was really impressive and the vibe was very special. I feel very inspired by it! Thank you :)
- Didn't expect to laugh so much!! Fantastic conference, very well organised and very enjoyable and informative
- A huge thank you for coordinating such an amazing and intelligent group of people to share knowledge and learn from each other. Thank you!
- The highlight for me was seeing the amazing advocacy work that has taken place in this space all around the country for a long time. The conference really reinforced that we've come a long way, but have a long way to go. I really enjoyed how 'bold' people were - we didn't just scratch the surface, we dove right in
- It was reinvigorating as have been in the field for over 10 years and great to be more aware of work being done interstate and internationally.
- The conference was excellent, thoroughly educational, inspiring, humbling and motivating.
- I really enjoyed the enthusiasm, collaborative style and the expertise offered. Everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly and for someone new to this field it was greatly appreciated.
- The most valuable thing for me was the opportunity to meet a lot of inspiring people working in the area of abortion, and to feel more connected with others, rather than working in isolation in my practice
- The opportunity to get together in the one place with so many pro-choice people is rare and extremely valuable
Pre Conference Seminar: Medical termination of pregnancy in general parctice
We are excited to partner with Iris Education and Marie Stopes Australia to host this event the evening before the conference. This seminar is for those providing medical termination of pregnancy or interested in providing this service and will be unique opportunity to increase knowledge and network with colleagues. For more information and to register for this event please click here.
RACGP CPD points
Courtesy of Iris education and awaiting approval
Conference venue and accommodation
The conference is being held in a Brisbane Central Business District (CBD) venue. There are a range of accommodation options in the Brisbane CBD to suit all budgets or alternatively the venue is easily accessible via public transport for those preferring to stay outside of the Brisbane CBD.
Unfortunately, Children by Choice does not have the capacity to provide any accommodation or recreational activity recommendations or advice.
We do not have any capacity to provide scholarships for attending the conference but we do offer a reduced student registration fee.
To keep up to date on the conference and all things Children by Choice please join our e-bulletin mailing list here.
CPD points courtesy of