REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN
We are pleased to announce that registrations are open for our third Unplanned Pregnancy and Abortion Conference being held in Brisbane on 1 and 2 August 2019. This conference is being supported by our principal sponsor, Marie Stopes Australia.
Our conference is an opportunity for health and community professionals working in and those interested in the fields of unplanned pregnancy, reproductive health and abortion provision to advance their skills and expertise. The conference will comprise of plenary sessions with experts and concurrent sessions, including a clinical stream for health practitioners providing or assisting in abortion care. The conference is also a unique opportunity for the sector to come together and share experiences and discuss national and local responses.
We’re excited to announce that the program will include a keynote address (via video conference) by the inspirational Dr. Willie Parker.
Willie J. Parker, MD, MPH, MSc, is a US reproductive justice advocate who travels as an abortion provider in Alabama and Georgia. His most recent work has focused on violence against women, sexual assault, and reproductive rights and justice through advocacy and provision of contraceptive and abortion services. Most notably Dr. Parker is a recipient of the 2013 Physicians for Reproductive Health Dr. George Tiller Provider Award, the 2015 Helen Rodriguez-Trias Social Justice Award and the 2016 Dr. Felicia Stewart Advocacy Award from the American Public Health Association, and the 2016 Dr. David Gunn Lifetime Achievement Award from the Abortion Care Network.
Dr. Parker was also recently honored by the United Nations Office of Human Rights as one of 12 Women’s Human Rights Defenders on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the United Nations’ Fourth World Conference on Women. He is also a recipient of Planned Parenthood’s 2015 Margaret Sanger Award. Dr. Parker is a 2007-2008 Leadership Training Initiative Fellow. He joined the Physicians for Reproductive Health board in November 2007 and is the current Chair. Dr. Parker is the author of newly released book, “Life’s Work: A Morale Argument for Choice”. More information about Dr. Parker can be found here.
Further program details will be announced soon.
Who should attend
GPs and health practitioners, allied health and education professionals; social workers, academics, youth and community workers; policy makers; students; supporters of choice.
To register please click here. (Please note that we have had to slightly increase our registration fees due to an unexpected change to the conference venue).
If you need inspiration to register check out the comments below from attendees at our 2017 conference;
- The breadth of topics and the knowledge and passion of speakers and attendees was really impressive and the vibe was very special. I feel very inspired by it! Thank you :)
- Didn't expect to laugh so much!! Fantastic conference, very well organised and very enjoyable and informative
- A huge thank you for coordinating such an amazing and intelligent group of people to share knowledge and learn from each other. Thank you!
- The highlight for me was seeing the amazing advocacy work that has taken place in this space all around the country for a long time. The conference really reinforced that we've come a long way, but have a long way to go. I really enjoyed how 'bold' people were - we didn't just scratch the surface, we dove right in
- It was reinvigorating as have been in the field for over 10 years and great to be more aware of work being done interstate and internationally.
- The conference was excellent, thoroughly educational, inspiring, humbling and motivating.
- I really enjoyed the enthusiasm, collaborative style and the expertise offered. Everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly and for someone new to this field it was greatly appreciated.
- The most valuable thing for me was the opportunity to meet a lot of inspiring people working in the area of abortion, and to feel more connected with others, rather than working in isolation in my practice
- The opportunity to get together in the one place with so many pro-choice people is rare and extremely valuable
The conference will take place at a Brisbane CBD location.
To keep up to date on the conference and all things Children by Choice please join our e-bulletin mailing list here.